Avignon Winter 2017-2018 Offer
This incredible value special offer is valid for travel between November 2017 – March 2018, giving you the perfect opportunity to discover the wines of the Rhone Valley on a Châteauneuf-du-Pape wine tour!
- Upon arrival in Avignon, check into your chosen hotel in the city centre. Choose between 4* Avignon Grand Hotel, or the 4* Cloitre Saint Louis.
- The remainder of the afternoon and evening will be free to relax and do as you please. You may like to take the time to explore Avignon itself, which is an interesting culturally-rich city, with several UNESCO classified World Heritage Sites to discover.
- After breakfast, meet your English-speak driver/guide at a central meeting point and embark on your oenological discovery of the world renowned vineyards on your Châteauneuf-du-Pape wine tour.
- You will start by looking at the unusual terroir that is responsible for the ultra-ripe grapes that come from its vines and will then visit the cuverie of a wine maker, to understand their wine making philosophy. The visit will conclude with tastings of their award-winning wines.
- Following the morning’s activities, a delicious lunch will be served in a traditional Rhone bistrot.
- In the afternoon, you will then continue your tour, visiting two further Châteauneuf-du-Pape wine producers, who will show you around their estates, and the tours will each conclude with a tasting of some of the estate’s wines.
- You will then be chauffeured back to Avignon, in time to relax and enjoy the evening.
- After a leisurely breakfast, check out of the hotel.
- Before departing the region, the morning will be free to explore the cultural and historical side of this wonderful region. You will firstly have entry to into the famed Palais des Papes. The palace is one of the largest and most important medieval Gothic buildings in Europe and was once the papal residence and the seat of Western Christianity during the 14th century. You will also have the opportunity to visit the Pont d’Avignon, an authentic medieval bridge, with picturesque views of the Rhône River. The bridge was the inspiration for the song Sur le Pont d’Avignon and is considered a landmark of the city. In 1995, the surviving arches of the bridge, together with the Palais des Papes were classified as a World Heritage Site. Entrance to the sites is also possible on Day 1 if preferred.
- At your own pace, commence your return journey.
The total price of this package, based on 2 people sharing a double or twin Superior room is £299 (GBP) per person and includes 2 nights’ bed and breakfast accommodation, a full day guided and transported Châteauneuf-du-Pape wine tour, tours and tastings at 3 wineries, a bistrot lunch, and entrance to the Palais des Papes and Pont d’Avignon.
If you would like to stay an extra night, the supplement will be £43 (GBP) per person.